Thursday, May 7, 2009

Will the Real Pack Leader Please Stand?


As some of my family and friends know, I have been spending a significant amount of time, energy and resources trying to train some rather undesirable behaviors out of "the beast" (aka, Dudley). While I am certainly no expert dog trainer, I have learned quite a bit about the "pack mentality," positive reinforcement etc. I have also learned that, while I may be the boss of the puppies (or at least think that I am), the Peanut is the boss of me. While I have been working to become the pack leader of the puppies, the Peanut has become the pack leader of me. Just to illustrate . . .

Case 1
The Peanut loves to hear "Pat-a-Cake" and will listen to it ad nauseam on one of his favorite toys. Occasionally we will sing the rhyme together. One day while eating his lunch, the Peanut set his fork down and started clapping his hands. I, without thinking, started singing "Pat-a-Cake." The Peanut just smiled and took another bite of lunch. A few minutes later, he put his fork down again and clapped his hands until I started singing. This continued throughout his lunchtime . . . .



Case 2
The Peanut is becoming quite adept at feeding himself and usually will only eat if given the opportunity to feed himself. However, if he doesn't feel like feeding himself, he will shove his spoon or fork in my direction and say - quite emphatically - "ba-ba-ba-ba!" (a phrase that we know means "bite," "bottle," "drink," etc.). Upon hearing this command, I immediately stop what I am doing and load his utensil with food. I get it, though. When you're hungry, you're hungry.



Case 3
I took the Peanut and the pups outside for a break from the monotony of the day. Each of them had a ball to play with. The Aristocrat (aka, Clarence) promptly dropped his ball in order to chew sticks, chase flies and roll around on the grass. Dudley gave his ball to me for a game of fetch and obediently retrieved the ball with each throw. Halfway through the game, I realized that the Peanut had engaged me in our own game of fetch. He would toss his ball over the raised flower bed and just out of reach and then point and say "ba, ba, ba" or, if that didn't work "eh, eh, eh." I would obediently retrieve his ball and return it to him. Every. Single. Time.



Now, I ask, who is the real leader of this pack???

1 comment:

Scully said...

Hee! I love the stories. And I think all children train their mothers. It is what they do.