Monday, September 13, 2010

Some Peanut-isms or a Little Reminder that the Terrible Twos are not Always Terrible

The Peanut is growing in leaps and bounds lately. His pants that I used to have to roll up are now fitting perfectly. His size 3T shirts are close to becoming midriffs (now there's a visual image . . . ) and he has exactly one pair of shoes that still fit. Best of all, he has become a little chatterbox.

Along with his skillful use of words such as "delirious," "delicious," and "probably," or his annoying use of phrases like "I just don't yike you," the Peanut has surprised and entertained me with some great "isms." Here are some of my favorites . . . .

"Mom, I want you to carafe me" when he wants to be carried.

The alphabet song . . . The Peanut makes it through a-i without a hitch, but then gets a little hung up on j-p. Although there are different variations of the song, my favorite by far is when he skips "j" and launches into "k, l, another b, Q, R, S . . . "

While doing our bedtime routine tonight, I was singing the Bette Midler version of "Glory of Love" (though not sounding at all like Bette Midler). The Peanut, not really knowing the song, would sing the last word of every line after I did. When I got to the line, "You've got to win a little, lose a little, and always have the blues a little," he cut me off after "always" and finished by singing "have ice cream."

I was helping him say his prayers tonight and, apparently, was not giving him the appropriate prompts for expressing his gratitude because mid-way, he took off on his own, saying "thank you for Gordon, thank you for Henry, thank you for Lightning McQueen."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great! I think he has something there about the ice cream. My kind of guy. Love you guys.